• Current through October 23, 2012

(a) If a marital deduction is allowed for all or part of a trust whose assets consist substantially of property that does not provide the spouse or domestic partner with sufficient income from or use of the trust assets, and if the amounts that the trustee transfers from principal to income under § 28- 4801.04 and distributes to the spouse or domestic partner from principal pursuant to the terms of the trust are insufficient to provide the spouse or domestic partner with the beneficial enjoyment required to obtain the marital deduction, the spouse or domestic partner may require the trustee to make property productive of income, convert property within a reasonable time, or exercise the power conferred by § 28-4801.04(a). The trustee may decide which action or combination of actions to take.

(b) In cases not governed by subsection (a) of this section, proceeds from the sale or other disposition of an asset are principal without regard to the amount of income the asset produces during any accounting period.

(Apr. 27, 2001, D.C. Law 13-292, § 502(c), 48 DCR 2087; Sept. 12, 2008, D.C. Law 17-231, § 26(d), 55 DCR 6758.)


Effect of Amendments

D.C. Law 17-231, in subsec. (d), substituted "spouse or domestic partner" for "spouse".

Legislative History of Laws

For Law 13-292, see notes following § 28-4801.01.

For Law 17-231, see notes following § 28-4801.04.

Uniform Law

This section is based upon § 413 of the Uniform Principal and Income Act (1997 Act). See 7B Uniform Laws Annotated, Master Edition, or ULA Database on Westlaw.