Current through October 23, 2012
Certificates issued by the Mayor of the District of Columbia may be signed by the Executive Secretary.
var val = document.getElementById('citecontent').innerHTML; art.dialog.defaults.title = window.location.href; art.dialog.data('cite', val); art.dialog.data('homeDemoPath', '/Scripts/plus/artDialog/'); art.dialog.open('/Scripts/plus/artDialog/citeiframe.html');
(Dec. 16, 1944, 58 Stat. 811, ch. 597, § 4.)
1981 Ed., § 1-816.
1973 Ed., § 1-517.
Change in Government
This section originated at a time when local government powers were delegated to a Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia (see Acts Relating to the Establishment of the District of Columbia and its Various Forms of Governmental Organization in Volume 1). Section 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967 (see Reorganization Plans in Volume 1) transferred all of the functions of the Board of Commissioners under this section to a single Commissioner. The District of Columbia Self-Government and Governmental Reorganization Act, 87 Stat. 818, § 711 (D.C. Code, § 1-207.11), abolished the District of Columbia Council and the Office of Commissioner of the District of Columbia. These branches of government were replaced by the Council of the District of Columbia and the Office of Mayor of the District of Columbia, respectively. Accordingly, and also pursuant to § 714(a) of such Act (D.C. Code, § 1-207.14(a)), appropriate changes in terminology were made in this section.
Office of the Secretary established: See Mayor's Order 83-21, January 3, 1983.
Amendment of functions and duties of the Secretary: See Mayor's Order 84-51, February 29, 1984.
Office of Secretary to Board of Commissioners abolished: The Office of the Secretary to the Board of Commissioners of the District of Columbia was abolished and the functions thereof transferred to the Board of Commissioners by Reorganization Plan No. 5 of 1952. Reorganization Order No. 41 of the Board of Commissioners, dated June 23, 1953, issued pursuant to that Plan, established as part of the Executive Office of the Board of Commissioners, under the direction and control of the Board, an Office of the Secretary to the Board of Commissioners to perform ministerial duties for the Board. The Order described the purpose and functions of the Office of Secretary and provided that the functions and positions of the previously existing Office of the Secretary to the Board be transferred to the new office, and that the previously existing Office of the Secretary be abolished. The executive functions of the Board of Commissioners were transferred to the Commissioner of the District of Columbia by § 401 of Reorganization Plan No. 3 of 1967. Organization Order No. 2 of the Commissioner, dated December 13, 1967, as amended, established within the Executive Office of the Commissioner a Secretariat headed by an Executive Secretary. The Order transferred to the Secretariat certain functions, including the duties, powers and authorities of all officers and employees performing such functions and assigned to the Office of the Secretary as it existed immediately prior to December 13, 1967, and revoked all other orders inconsistent therewith.